Saturday, December 9, 2017

Module 15: Self Portrait


1. Why did you select the inspiration pieces?

I was unable to physically attend an art gallery, so I used the Google Art Project site to view different galleries for inspiration.
"Self Portrait"

Ramon Martí Alsina 1875



This portrait was drawn using conte stick and white lead on colored paper. It is from the art gallery Museu Nacional d'Art Catalunya (MNAC) of Barcelona. I selected this work as inspiration because I wanted to create a simple portrait that was in black and white. I was also drawn to it because of how his hair was drawn showing movement even though it is pretty dark. I also liked that the face was the focal point of the work, on a plain background.


 https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/self-portrait/tQEpJlCspdG8Hw






"Self-Portrait for Bedroom Painting No. 15"

Tom Wesselmann 1969

 

This self portrait was drawn using graphite on paper and is from the Chrysler Museum of Art gallery. I found this piece inspirational because it was created using similar media that I used. I wanted to visit galleries that contained more drawings rather than paintings. I also used this work as inspiration on how to portray eyes. His eyes in this photo are drawn with he pupils very dark, and it captures your attention when viewing it.

https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/self-portrait-for-bedroom-painting-no-15/zwE_tneOe0e7nQ 


"Self-Portrait"

Charles Keeneabout 1845

 




This portrait was drawn using brown and black ink over chalk and is from the gallery of The J. Paul Getty Museum. I found this work inspirational because of its use of space. The portrait is very shaded and only the facial expression is portrayed in the artwork, and I wanted to create a similar piece. I also liked that the features were less defined and more blended and shaded.

https://www.google.com/culturalinstitute/beta/asset/self-portrait/TQFtBi8lttLhpw








Original Photo
Completed Self-Portrait

 

2. Why did you select the media to create your self-portrait?

I chose to create my self portrait with charcoal because I wanted it to be a black and white realistic drawing that allowed for shading. I have been trying to practice using charcoal more just for fun in my free time to get better at using it.

3. What challenges did you face in creating your self-portrait and how did you overcome them?

One of the biggest challenges for creating this self portrait was creating the eyes. It was hard to make
them "match", in regards to their shape and size. I practiced on a separate page before beginning the completed work.

4. How does this piece represent you?

This artwork represents me because it is simple black and white representation of me. I focused on portraying my features in a realistic way, emphasizing those that I particularly favor. For example, I have very long eyelashes, and it is something I have always been known for among  my family and friends. I wanted to be sure to portray them and my eyes as a focal point of the piece.

5. What elements and principles of art did you apply in this work?

One of the elements I applied in this work is the use of space. I really liked how the artworks I included as inspiration pieces utilized the space in the works, and I wanted to do something similar. I wanted my work to be just my face, so the viewer focuses on the features alone and the expression, rather than being distracted by the use of the space in the background. I tried to portray the eyes as a focal point of my face and ultimately the work itself by applying the principle of emphasis. I made the pupil dark and round as a center focal point to draw attention to them. I also used line and movement in the creation of my hair in this piece. The lines used portray movement down the face which guide the viewer's eye through the work and all of the facial features.

6. Did you enjoy working on this project?

I enjoyed working on this project because I have been trying to get better at using charcoal and drawing in general. I find it fun and kind of therapeutic to draw, even if major talent is not present.

7. What do you think of your final artwork? 

I think my final artwork is a good representation of my facial features, and it turned out much better than I expected. I think that more practice will allow me to get better at using charcoal.

No comments:

Post a Comment