Saturday, September 30, 2017

Art Making/ Material Exlporation #2: Logo Design


1. Discuss what you thought about creating your logo.

 The Logo creation was initially challenging, because I was unsure how to represent my "identity". I always thought of logos as a way of branding for a business, and it was difficult to brainstorm a way to brand myself without a business behind it.

2. Describe the process: creative thinking skills and ideas you used in the logo creation.

In order to create the logo, I spent a lot of time reviewing the materials and websites for ideas. The best way I thought I could represent myself and my identity was through my initials. I originally had several ideas for using all of my intials (SJH), but could not seem to come up with a drawing that I liked. Eventually, I eliminated the other initials except for my last name (H). Houghton is actually my married name, so I thought that this logo could represent my identity now as a wife. I thought of using hearts in the design at first, as a way to include another element, shape, in the logo. I decided to draw two hearts connected and mirroring each other to represent the relationship. For this logo design I utilized several different elements, such as lines, shapes, color, and symmetry. I first sketched the design in pencil, and then created a final logo on a separate page. I then used acrylic paints to add color to the design.

3. What was the most important discovery you made in the creation of your logo?

The most important discovery I made during the creation of this logo was how many different elements I would incorporate together in the design without realizing it. Some elements I planned on using in the design, but after creating the logo, I was able to look back and decipher other elements. 

4. What is the most important information you learned from watching the videos, powerpoint, and reading material  for this project? What is your opinion of the videos?

 I thought the videos were helpful in understanding what logos are used for and the different ways in which they can be created. I found the powerpoint to be most helpful for this project because it discussed the different kinds of characters, such as a pictogram, symbol, icon, emblem, cachet, logo or trademark. I also learned the difference between the basic laws and principles. I tried to incorporate the law of experience in my design. The law of experience is the ability for a viewer's mind to recall visual information and amend missing lines in order to see the letter.


Logo Design Sketches

Final Logo Design

 

No comments:

Post a Comment